Testing the X-T2 Autofocus System on Bass Rock


The main advantage of the Fujifilm X-T2 is the new continuous autofocus system that the brand new camera has.  I have used it extensively over the past three months on motorsport subjects and I also ran a test on the Isle of May a few weeks ago, follow focusing the small and agile Atlantic Puffins in flight around the island.

Last Tuesday I was able to further test the Continuous AF on on the X-T2 by photographing the Gannets flying around Bass Rock.  Now Gannets are much larger and are easier to track than the small Puffins, but because there are so many birds in a relatively small area, following these seabirds presented several challenges for the X-T2.

Now the X-T2 has a customised AF-C function where you can select one of five presets in the menu and also have a sixth custom function where you can override the presets if you wish.  




Camera Settings
For the birds on Bass Rock I used two different settings.  Set 5 which is for erratically moving and accelerating / decelerating subjects, or Set 2, which is to ignore obstacles and continue to track the subject.   I tended to favour Set 2 on Bass Rock.  For motorsport I favour Set 3, which is for accelerating / decelerating subjects.

The X-T2 was set for manual exposure with either the XF100-400mm f4.5/5.6 or the XF50-140mm f2.8 lens fitted.  I used the 100-400mm on the island and the 50-140mm on the boat.  I used Zone Focus with a 3x3 square selected, which I could move around the frame with the toggle switch on the back of the camera without having to take my eye away from the viewfinder.

The 'Boost' selector was set to 'ON' to increase the AF performance but the drive setting was set to CL (5fps) or CH (8fps).  I did use 11fps when the Gannets were diving next to the boat but for the rest of the time I didn't want to use a higher frame rate just to fill the memory cards quicker.  I had the camera set to record JPEG (N) + RAW, with the film simulation set to Velvia.





TEST 1: Busy Background
One of the biggest tests for any autofocus system is to continue to track the subject.  If the background is clear, a nice blue sky for example, the AF with have no trouble keeping the lock on the subject. However if the background gets busy, the rocks and nesting birds for example, then the AF might get confused and cause the AF to hunt.

With Set 2 set on the AF custom function, I was able to track several gannets as they flew towards me across the face of Bass Rock.  Sometimes a bird would fly across the frame between me and the subject, but the AF would remain locked on the subject.










TEST 2: Crowded Skies
With over 150000 gannets on Bass Rock, plus all of the gulls as well, the airspace around the island is extremely crowded.  With Set 2 selected on the AF I was able to isolate one bird and track its movement across the sky without worrying about other birds getting between me and the subject.





TEST 3: Diving Birds
With Set 5 set on the AF custom functions I was able to follow a gannet as it came near to the boat and then turn on its wing before plunging like an arrow into the water.  This is very difficult to follow but the camera was able to track the bird, it was more of a challenge for me as the operator to keep the bird in the viewfinder as it changed direction.  This is where I set the camera to 11fps from 8fps to capture the birds diving as they move so quickly.







Conclusion
While the AF-C on the X-T2 is not 100% perfect (no AF system from any camera manufacturer is!), I have total confidence in the system to perform to my high exacting standards for sport and wildlife photography.  

I need to point out that many of the missed shots were more down to user error by not keeping the subject in the AF zone in the viewfinder rather than anything the camera had done.  

I estimate that I had around an 90% hit rate, which I am very impressed with and I am extremely happy with the results I came back from Bass Rock with.  

The X-T2 can follow birds in flight and race cars on a circuit.  I have shot rugby with the X-Pro2 and if that camera can follow players on a field easily then I have no doubt the X-T2 will be able to this as well with ease.

UPDATE: Scotland v Australia international rugby match - X-T2 AF Test conducted on 12 November 2016 HERE




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

In June 2015 Jeff Carter was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador and you can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am an amateur photography enthusiast and one subject I enjoy capturing is birds. I have been waiting for the X-T2 and this has been very helpful! I appreciate the effort and time it took to create this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading the blog and for leaving a comment. I can say that the X-T2 is a very capable performer for wildlife photography and I am confident you will enjoy the X-T2 when you get hold of it.

      Delete
  2. I read with great interest this article as well as the one on Puffins from Cape May and I was absolutely delighted with your conclusions. I've been an X-T1 user for over 2 years now and it's simply an excellent camera, however, my attempt to gain proficiency in BIF photography with that camera has been a long exercise in frustration. Of course some of that is due to my inexperience, but such challenges as VF blackout, delay, and pretty poor tracking capability have made it extremely difficult to make much progress in spite of months of effort. I put the X-T2 on order the day it was announced and am very anxious to receive it. The AF enhancements were the most compelling improvements that Fuji has made, but up to now, I've had difficulty finding any rigorous tests and samples from the X-T2 and the 100-400 (incredible lens IMHO) of BIF. Both your articles show results that seem to really be ground breaking and on par at least with best of class AF performance (at least for a crop format mirrorless camera, if not FF). Thanks much for publishing these and I look forward to any other tests, etc. that you plan to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter