REVIEW: The New XF50-140mm f2.8 - First Impressions


Last weekend at the Fuji International Speedway, where I was working on the Japanese round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, I had the opportunity to see the new Fujinon  XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR lens ahead of its release in the UK this November.  My thanks to the guys from Fujifilm Japan, who brought one along to the race.  

Because it was race day I was unable to go out and shoot with the lens, hopefully I will be able to remedy this later this year, but here are my first impressions of this new fast telephoto lens.

During my 18 years shooting with Nikon, my favourite lens was the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D that I bought new in 1996. I kept this lens for the entire time I used Nikon both as an enthusiast and professional photographer and I sold it, reluctantly, in May of this year. It is probably the one lens that I miss the most,  so when Fujifilm announced a constant f2.8 mid range zoom (76mm-213mm equivalent) I was eager to get my hands on a copy to see what it is like.




The first thing you notice is this is a BIG lens, which is demonstrated by the image above comparing it to my existing XF55-200mm.  The good news is the 50-140mm doesn't extend out when setting the zoom to the long end of the range like the 55-200mm, so the physical size of lens stays constant throughout the zoom range.

The 50-140mm is a typical XF lens, beautifully manufactured from good quality materials, giving a premium feel.  When fitted to the X-T1 (with the vertical grip) the camera felt balanced and nicely weighted and the inclusion of a removable tripod / monopod foot on the lens is a nice addition.  



When I purchased the XF10-24mm f4 wide angle zoom in May, the one thing I was disappointed with was the aperture ring wasn't marked with the settings and I commented this was a mistake for a constant aperture zoom lens.  It was therefore pleasing to note the 50-140mm is the first XF zoom that has a marked aperture ring like the prime lenses in the XF range.  

The reason I like a marked aperture ring is so it is easy to see what aperture you have set without having to look through the viewfinder or at the screen.  I understand that this isn't possible with variable aperture zooms like the 55-200mm but it is with constant aperture lens.  It is great to see that Fujifilm have recognised this on the 50-140mm.

Fuji's Optical Image Stabilisation system is included on this lens as well and if it works as well as the OIS on the 55-200mm then I will have no complaints in using this lens handheld at shutter speeds at less than 1/30s.

The 50-140 is also the second weather resistant (WR) in the XF range after the 18-135mm launched in the summer.






I took a couple of test shots from my office at Fuji to demonstrate the zoom range of this lens.  






Conclusion
My first impressions is the XF50-140mm f2.8 is all that it is cracked up to be and Fujifilm have another winner on their hands.  The UK price of £1250 makes this the most expensive XF lens yet but when the equivalent Nikon and Canon lenses are £300-£500 more expensive than that, the 50-140mm could be considered a bit of a bargain.  

The build quality is stunning and, from the few test shots I took, the image quality is equally impressive. 

I wish I could have found the time to have got out of the office for 30-minutes to test this lens fully but in my role as the FIA Media Delegate my schedule on race day doesn't allow me time to indulge in a spot of photography.

I can't wait to try another copy of this lens in the near future and give the 50-140mm a proper run out. 

CLICK HERE for more information on the Fujinon XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES (UNLESS INDICATED) ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability



Jeff Carter is an Official Fujifilm X Photographer and was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador in June 2015. In 2016 he worked with the company on the launches of the Fujifilm X-Pro2 in Tokyo and the Fujifilm X-T2 in Paris in July 2016.  You can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAMTWITTER or FLICKR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4